Gan Shalom WAS FOunded AS a cooperative preschool, and we continue to thrive with parent involvement.
THE CO-OP APPROACH
Gan Shalom families are asked to assist in the classroom 4 times per year, or more if they choose. The duty parent is encouraged to share a skill, hobby, or special interest with the children. Classroom duty may be fulfilled by any caregiver designated by the parent before the beginning of the year, and may include parents, grandparents, or nannies. The classroom duty schedule is provided at the beginning of each semester, and families may sign up for the dates that work best for them.
In addition to assisting the teachers in the classroom, each family is expected to support the school in one of two ways: Families may take on an administrative responsibility within the school. Examples of such responsibilities are listed below, and more information can be found in the Parent Handbook. Or a family may choose to support the school by making a $1500 contribution.
- President*: Partners with the Director to strengthen our school.
- Vice President*: Supports the president.
- Communications Chair*: Takes/distributes meeting minutes, Handles communications for the preschool
- Treasurer*: Manages the budget
- Membership Chair*: Performs outreach to the community, Compiles lists of contacts and communicates with current and potential students about the school, Maintains waiting list and organizes school rosters with the Director
- Liaison to Hill Havurah Board*: Collaborates with the Hill Havurah Board to share information.
- Fundraising Chairs: Plan fundraising events such as Picture Day and Purim Carnival.
- Other roles: Additional volunteer roles include class coordinator, social events coordinator, fundraising coordinator, librarian, and membership assistant.
*Part of the Executive Committee